By Russ Miller

I am not sure what it is when you cross over the border from the U.S. into Canada. There is a weight that is lifted, perhaps it’s the knowledge that your phone is no longer in service, and that for the next three days all you have to worry about is which run to step into next.

This morning it was easy to choose what run we would start at for first light. As we fired up the stove at the camp spot for some hot coffee, I could hear the river song playing in the background. It had been the same tune that we fell asleep to every night. Instead of getting in the car, we would fish our home pool at the doorsteps of camp. As we rigged up in the pale blue pre-dawn light, the 14 foot Magnum red METHOD rod glowed a little as I strung it up. This rod was an easy one to fall in love with; it is ultra-light, ultra-powerful, and has the soul of a champion. I was able to hit seams that were out of my previous casting range and keep my fly swimming through water that was untouched.

Contemplating my fly choice for the morning, last night’s drinks still sat heavy in my head and the late night fish stories motivated me to make a change. Rumor had it that black and blue was the ticket. That was all I needed to hear as I had been on a pink fly bender the past two fishless days. Digging through my box I found the one, a black marabou head with a blue prom dress tail. It certainly caught my eye even in the dim glow of my headlamp. Steaming coffee in one hand and rod in the other we made our way from our camp, through the foliage, and out onto the gravel bar. Harry and I sat and watched the river flow, sipping coffee and waiting for the morning to start.

About a third of the way down from the head during another rhythmic swing, my fly got crushed. I didn’t have to worry about my loop or setting the hook, I just had to hang on and enjoy the ride. Minutes later Harry was grabbing the wrist of my first BC buck and I was ecstatic! After celebrating and high fiving, I sat down to re-live the experience and soak the scene in. Harry stepped back in, anxious after feeling and seeing the power of these native fish. I let my nerves calm down for about 15 minutes and stepped back into the head. Three casts later the matching hen came to hand.

When it rains … it feels so good!

Featured product